I don’t know about you, but some of my favourite things in life are pastry and cheese. I wanted a way to combine these two delicious foods and given the idea from my South Cape Cheese recipe book, I thought I’d put my spin on it.
• Camembert or brie cheese cut into slices (as thick or thin as you would like it cheesey)
• 2 sheets of puff pastry
• Quince paste
• Egg to wash
• Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
• Lay out your thawed pastry and cut it into 4 long strips vertically and then into three sections
• Cut your cheese to fit within each rectangle and place to one side.
• Add a dollop of quince paste to the middle of each piece of cheese.
• Pick up one cheese section and fold the pastry over to cover the cheese. Then give it a twist and place onto a lined baking tray.
• Repeat this with each cheese rectangle and then place the tray into the oven for 15-20 mins until the pastry has puffed and is starting to brown. Please note that oozing may have occurred!
• Serve with cream or ice cream for a dessert or with a chutney dipping sauce for great party finger food.
This recipe first appeared in the Australia Times Australian Grown Magazine.